Follow Us:
Sunday, July 15, 2018

2 yrs after cop found dead in tank, HC transfers probe to CBI

The body of Constable was found in a water tank in Police Training Centre on May 3, 2012. The Crime Branch which investigated the case said it seemed to be one of suicide.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: June 18, 2014 2:37:07 am
The Delhi High Court also asked the Delhi and the Central governments to set up hostels for the Northeast residents. The Crime Branch of the Delhi Police, which probed the case, said it seemed to be one of suicide. (Source: Express Photo)

Two years after a 23-year-old constable posted with the Seventh Battalion of the Delhi Police was found dead in a water tank at the Police Training Centre in South Delhi’s Malviya Nagar, the Delhi High Court has transferred the investigation of the case to the CBI.

The body of Constable Manish Kumar was found in a water tank in the residential area of the training centre barracks on May 3, 2012. The Crime Branch of the Delhi Police, which probed the case, said it seemed to be one of suicide.

Manish’s father Krishan Kumar, a head constable with the Delhi Police, had then approached the High Court seeking a CBI investigation into the incident. The petition, filed through advocates Aditya Wadhwa and Sahil Mongia, had alleged that Manish had been killed by some Delhi Police personnel as he had died inside the heavy-security compound and his body was found in a tank, which was situated only a few metres away from the sleeping quarters of the police personnel.

Kumar’s petition also alleged that three other constables of the 7th battalion had died under suspicious circumstances soon after Manish’s death.

During arguments, the lawyers claimed that the post-mortem report showed that there were injuries on his body which points to some sort of struggle taking place which may have happened when Manish was pushed into the tank.

Kumar had also told the court that it was “not believable” that nobody in the quarters heard the struggle. Further, the court took note of the argument that the crime team reached the spot to investigate only after four days, and there was a delay of nearly 100 days in registering an FIR.

“How could someone have drowned himself in a tank which was only 4ft, 11 inches in height? The deceased was 5 feet 11 inches tall. There was no proper investigation,” Mongia said.

“Considering the peculiar facts and circumstances of the present case and the other incidents which have taken place at PTC, Malviya Nagar, and also considering that the petitioner is suspecting the involvement of Delhi Police personnel, it is appropriate to entrust the investigation to an independent agency like CBI as is prayed so that complete justice is done to the petitioner and his family…,” the court of Justice Veena Birbal said. The Delhi Police has been directed to transfer all documents related to the case to the CBI within four weeks.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App