Delhi Development Authority (DDA) vice-chairman Balvinder Kumar has ordered that draw of lots for 744 applicants, who are yet to be allotted plots under the 1981 Rohini Residential Scheme, be held on August 8.
A total of 82,384 applicants had registered for the Rohini Residential Scheme in 1981, launched to provide houses to people in Rohini zone under various categories: Middle Income Group (MIG), Lower Income Group (LIG), Economically Weaker Section, etc.
The first draw was held in 1982 and, subsequently, draws were continuously held until 2007.
By 2007, 55,169 applicants had been allotted plots under MIG, LIG and Janta categories. But up to 25,298 applicants under all categories were kept waiting.
“Another mega draw was held in 2012 and, of the waitlisted registrants, 24,668 were allotted plots on June 12, 2012. Till date, 80,037 applicants have been allotted plots, while 744 registrants are awaiting allotment,” DDA spokesperson Neemo Dhar said.
The draw for the remaining applicants will take place on August 8 at Vikas Sadan, INA. These applicants have been waiting for 33 years for their plots.
Recently, the Supreme Court ordered the DDA to allot developed plots to these allottees within four months. The court made clear to the land-owning agency that the plots have to be developed ones, which means they must have basic amenities such as roads, electricity and water.
Earlier, the DDA agreed there had been a delay in acquiring land to make the allotments as certain plots they wanted to acquire were categorised as agricultural land.
“It will be interesting to see how the DDA manages to adhere to the SC order of handing developed plots to allottees despite hurdles created by villagers of Barwala and surrounding areas, who are not letting the agency work smoothly,” Rahul Gupta, an applicant, said.
Putting an end to their 33-year wait, the Supreme Court had earlier this month ordered the DDA to allot developed plots to more than 700 allottees of the 1981 Rohini Residential Scheme within four months.
The court order came close on the heels of the DDA planning to roll out the largest-ever housing scheme by July-end, offering over 26,000 flats across various categories.
A bench led by Justice H L Dattu said successful allottees could not be made to suffer more on account of the DDA’s inability, on one pretext or another, to allot plots to them in accordance with a scheme floated over three decades ago.
“In our view, you (DDA) have already delayed it for far too long. You will have to allot them the plots now… we direct the DDA to issue the letters of allotment of the successful allottees for the developed plots in four months from today,” the bench had said.