Follow Us:
Thursday, July 19, 2018

Two persons injured in Panchkula cylinder blast on Diwali eve succumb to injuries

Family members of one victim allege they were not provided ventilator by GMCH in Sector 32

By: Express News Service | Panchkula | Updated: October 23, 2017 3:27:34 am
cylinder blast, panchkula, punjab, panchkula sector 10, diwali cylinder blast victims, pgimer, indian express Ram Chander Sharma

Two persons injured due to a cylinder blast in a house in Panchkula’ Sector 10 on Diwali eve succumbed to their injuries at GMCH in Sector 32 on Sunday. One of the victims was identified as Ram Chander. He had suffered 50 per cent burns. The other victim was identified as Ajit Chaudhary, 35. He worked as a software engineer in a company at IT Park and was survived by wife and two daughters — one six years old and the other three years old. His family members alleged that they were not provided ventilator by the institute.

“We kept asking for a ventilator and it was not provided to us. Doctors said that availability of a ventilator could have helped the patient,” said Pankaj Singla, one of the family friends. He said that PGI also told that they had no vacant bed with ventilator available at the institute.

One of the victim neighbours, Hem Raj Sharma, had succumbed to his injuries on Friday. As many as seven people were injured in the incident which occurred because of cylinder leakage at the house. A relative of the family said that on the fateful night, the family had gone away to the market for shopping. “As neighbours called up, Chaudhary came home rushing. He just told his wife and children that he would be returning in two minutes. They didn’t know that it was the last time they were talking to him. The moment he opened the door, there was a blast and he suffered burns,” said Pankaj.

The family has been staying at Chaudhary’s in-laws place in Sector 49, Chandigarh, after their house in Sector 10 caved in due to the cylinder blast. However, GMCH director principal A K Janmeja told Chandigarh Newsline that it was not true that the hospital didn’t provide the ventilator to the family. “The patient was being treated for burn injuries and there was no requirement for ventilator support to the patient. On Sunday morning he suffered a cardiac arrest after he underwent a tracheostomy procedure. He was provided a ventilator in the burn ward only. He died after an hour later,” he said.

The GMCH burn unit currently doesn’t have its own ventilators. But Janmeja said that a ventilator was shifted to the burn unit in Chaudhary’s case. He added that the family was apprehensive and the institute had not asked them to take the patient to PGI. “The patient’s family wanted a ventilator for him. But there was no requirement as per our doctors. Today, there was a need and it was provided.”

PGI spokesperson Manju Wadlwalkar told Chandigarh Newsline that ventilators are provided to patients as per availability. “We have sufficient number of ventilators at the institute. But the demand always exceeds the number,” she said.

For all the latest City Others News, download Indian Express App