Follow Us:
Monday, June 25, 2018

Murder cases which remain a mystery for Mohali police

The murder of KJ Singh has become a ‘mystery’ for the police. However, this is not the first case when the police is finding hard to trace the culprits.

By: Express News Service | Mohali | Updated: October 4, 2017 6:39:34 am
kj singh, kj singh murder, rajwant shergill murder, chandigarh unsolved murders, chandigarh murders, chandigarh police, chandigarh  Representational

Eleven days have passed since senior journalist KJ Singh and his mother Gurcharan Kaur were found murdered in their house in Mohali, but the police is still groping in the dark to find the killers. The murder has become a ‘mystery’ for the police. However, this is not the first case when the police is finding hard to trace the culprits.

Till date, the alleged murder of Kharar-based Congress leader Rajwant Singh Shergill in 2014 and murder of a Panchkula resident Sameer Watts in 2009 remain unsolved. Other than these two cases, the police were unable to trace the identity of a woman who was found murdered in a sewage treatment plant in Sector 83 in 2013.

Shergill was found murdered inside his car near a park in Sector 69 on May 21, 2014. The case had rocked the city as Shergill was a well-known Congress leader from Kharar region, and was planning to claim a ticket for the 2017 state assembly polls. That time, police had probed all the angels including political rivalry and property dispute as eight months ago before the incident, Shergill was attacked near Ropar. Police had also questioned many close friends of Shergill and also closely investigated the property dispute angle, but the case remained unsolved.

“We questioned several people. We also quizzed one of the woman friends of Shergill who was living in Sector 69 near the location from where his body was found but nothing came out. Besides them, we questioned people who had a property dispute with Shergill, but we did not find any concrete clue which could establish our theories,” said DSP Gurwinder Singh, who probed the case at that time.

Speaking to Chandigarh Newsline, Shergill’s elder brother Kulwant Singh Shergill said that he was called by the police around two months ago and the Station House Officer (SHO) of Phase 8 told him that they want to re-investigate the case. “It is good that the investigation will be initiated again. At this stage I don’t want to make any comments on the issue, as I still have faith in the police. If they fail to do anything, then I will opt for legal action,” he said.

Prior to Shergill’s murder, the police had filed the closure report in the murder case of Sameer Watts who was allegedly shot dead in Dussehra ground in Phase 8 on March 12, 2009. Watts was shot from point blank range on his head while he was sitting in his car. After the murder, the police had questioned the family members including Sameer’s wife Simrat, but the investigation could not yield any result.

After groping in dark for six years, police filed a closure report in the case in 2015. Sameer’s family had opposed the move and demanded for a re-investigation. When the investigation was initiated in the case, police came to know that the last call on Sameer’s phone was made from a Fortis hospital, but the investigators could never find out that who made the call. Sameer’s wife was also working in the hospital at that time.

“When we started the investigation we thought that we would be able to crack the case, but later the probe became complicated. We had some clues but we could not reach to any logical conclusion,” said an officer who was part of the investigating team and later served in the CIA staff for a long time.

Sameer’s father Colonel (retired) Surinder Watts could not be contacted. He was living in Panchkula. SSP Kuldeep Singh Chahal said that he could not comment about murder case of Sameer Watts as a closure report has been filed and he was never a part of the investigation. About Shergill’s case, he said that he wanted to investigate the case again and he had spoken to some of his officers about it.

The police also could not solve the murder case of a woman whose headless body was found near a sewage treatment plant in Sector 83 on July 25, 2013. The police could not even trace the identity of the woman even after four years.

For all the latest City Others News, download Indian Express App