In a move that is likely to impact construction in urban areas, particularly the NCR, the Haryana government has decided to grant mixed land use licences in commercial zones. The move will now allow developers to build residential properties in commercial complexes.
The government has already been allowing the reverse — integrated commercial complexes in residential areas.
So far, licences in designated commercial zones/commercial belts in development plans have been granted exclusively for integrated commercial complexes but under the new Mixed Land Use (Commercial/Residential) Licensing Policy, these complexes can now house residential properties.
There are, however, a few riders. The projects will only be allowed beside sector roads or service roads of minimum 30 metres width.
Their minimum area will have to be 10 acres, irrespective of the potential zones while the maximum area cannot exceed 50 per cent in Gurgaon-Manesar; 30 per cent in Faridabad-Ballabhgarh and 10 per cent in the rest of the state.
The site should also have an existing approach — a minimum of 4-karam wide revenue road — and should be approachable from proposed sector roads in the future.
The maximum permitted Floor Area Ratio (FAR) of the projects will have to be in accordance with the existing licencing policy. The permissible FAR for the residential component cannot exceed one-third (33.3 %) of the maximum permissible FAR of the project and the remaining two-third (66.7%) should be utilised for commercial activity.
The maximum population density cannot exceed 80 people per acre while the ground coverage, height and parking norms will be in accordance with the existing policy.
Fee and charges as specified for a commercial colony will be charged for the entire FAR of the project.
The developer will be bound to ensure sufficient security measures, including separate entry and exit for the residential component, which will have to attract buyers through open advertisements. The first right, however, will be with allottees or long-term lease holders of the commercial space in the colony.
The developers will be required to get the building plans approved in one go and the occupation certificate of the only proportionate residential component shall be considered along with commercial component.
The policy bars the carving of independent residential plots in the commercial zone.
The real estate developers have welcomed the move. “This is a good policy. The real estate market has slowed down and commercial zones have not been picking up speed as compared to residential projects. This policy will help in monetising land parcels,” Manoj Goyal, Director, Raheja Developers, said.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines