UT teachers bat for 80% quota during appointmentshttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/chandigarh/ut-teachers-bat-for-80-quota-during-appointments/

UT teachers bat for 80% quota during appointments

The union members have demanded that during the appointment of teachers, 80 per cent of the seats should be reserved for candidates from Chandigarh and the remaining 20 per cent should be from outside.

The UT Cadre Educational Employees Union has written to the Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD) for implementing a reservation quota for teachers from Chandigarh.

The union members have demanded that during the appointment of teachers, 80 per cent of the seats should be reserved for candidates from Chandigarh and the remaining 20 per cent should be from outside.

The president of the UT Cadre Educational Employees Union, Swarn Singh Kamboj, said owing to the absence of UT quota for appointment of teachers, majority of the posts were being filled by applicants from Punjab and Haryana.

[related-post]

Kamboj told The Chandigarh Newsline: “Recently 1,100 posts were filled in the UT for JBT and TGT. Out of them, majority of the posts have been filled by candidates from Haryana. In the absence of any quota for applicants from Chandigarh, many students after finishing their BEd and MEd degrees from Chandigarh go to other states looking for jobs.”

Advertising

The students pursuing their education in the UT have also voiced their support for the implementation of a quota for appointment of teachers from the city.

“The students who complete their degrees from colleges in Chandigarh should be entitled to some sort of quota for being appointed in the UT. How does it make sense for students from Chandigarh having to knock doors of other states for employment every time? In states like Punjab and Haryana, we also face the problem of domicile certificates, further narrowing our job prospects,” said Hiral, a student pursuing her BEd from Panjab University.

According to the union members, 600 new teachers are soon going to be appointed under the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan (SSA) in Chandigarh. A proposal has already been sent to the Centre for implementing an 80 per cent reservation quota for these appointments.

In the proposal sent, it has also been added that for making appointments for teachers in the UT, it should be made mandatory for the applicants to have opted for Hindi or Punjabi in Class X.

“We had raised the point regarding making Punjabi or Hindi a mandatory option last year as well with the UT education department. However, it was not considered. If a teacher is appointed in Chandigarh, it only makes sense to ensure that he or she knows Hindi or Punjabi for effective communication with the students,” Kamboj added.

A letter containing these demands regarding appointment of teachers in the UT has been forwarded to the MHRD and the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).