March 16, 2009 4:02:41 am
Congress is the only party that is contesting the elections independently without forming any alliance. There is no other party that is capable of making a government on its own. They are all contesting by forming coalitions, said general secretary of the All India Congress Committee Mohsina Kidwai,while addressing a gathering in Jama Masjid,Sector 20 today.
In a bid to woo the Muslim community ahead of the Lok Sabha elections,the Congress had organised a rally highlighting its secular credentials. Nearly 23 Muslim organisations from the city have also extended their support to the party.
Kidwai said credit should be given to the UPA government for constituting the Sachar Committee,which provided an idea of the Muslim communitys deprivation.
Imraan Kidwai,chairman of the All India Congress Community,Minority Cell,said that if he had the power,he would issue a fatwa asking Muslims to abstain from joining the BJP. He said the Congress had never tried to change the Muslim personnel law.
Best of Express Premium
Union minister of State for Finance and the partys candidate from the city Pawan Kumar Bansal said the Congress is a tried and tested party that is known for its development work.
President of the city unit,B B Bahl,meanwhile,highlighted Bansals achievements including all that he had done for the Muslims.
Other leaders like Ram Pal Sharma,Subhash Chawla,Devinder Singh Babla,H S Lucky,Pawan Sharma,Pardeep Chhabra also spoke on the occasion. Councillors of the Municipal Corporation and Mayor Kamlesh were also present.
* Mohsina Kidwai,who is also in-charge of Punjab Affairs for the Congress,said the party would be announcing its candidates for the forthcoming elections in the coming week. The youth would be given adequate representation and the final decision would be taken by the party high command.
* Talking about the partys achievements,Kidwai said the Congress had taken numerous steps for uplifting all sections of society.
* As the leaders came late by around an hour,the crowd gathered there seemed to lose patience and started moving out. With Mohsina being the last speaker,the venue was almost empty by the time she finished her speech.
* The stage was overflowing with supporters and party workers jostling to get close to their leaders. The speakers,meanwhile,did not fail to mention the contributions of the Gandhi-Nehru family.
* Issues like the Babri Masjid demolition and the riots in Gujarat were also taken up.
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.