February 3, 2009 11:11:04 pm
Three shops in the busy Rai market at Ambala Cantonment were gutted when a fire broke out on Sunday night,causing a loss of lakhs of rupees to the owners. The owners noticed the fire around midnight,but the shops were reduced to ashes before the fire tenders could reach the spot. The cause of the fire could not be ascertained,but a short circuit is suspected to have caused the incident.
Former MLA Anil Vij visited the spot and said he has raised the issue with the deputy commissioner for due compensation. The shops were located near the Electricity Board but there was no one to attend to the complaints when the shopkeepers went to inform the officials on night duty. The XEN Operation said he has ordered an inquiry.
Ambala: An unclaimed bag,containing cash worth Rs 13,000 and other valuables was found by an RPF head constable Chatar Singh.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.