Thieves seem to be on a free run in Mohali. In the last two months,almost 100 cases of theft have been lodged at the eight police stations of the district.
The actual cases of theft could be higher as several strikes went unreported or were clubbed in a single First Information Report (FIR). Sources say at times,policemen register FIRs months after the crime to keep the number of cases low in official records.
Concerned over the inordinate delay in registering FIRs,Mohali SSP Jatinder Singh Aulakh assured action against those officers found responsible for holding up the registration of cases without justification.
I had issued clear instructions that all FIRs should be lodged immediately after a crime is reported and that several theft cases are not clubbed in a single FIR, he said.
Since the beginning of 2009,seldom has any day gone by without an incident of burglary being reported. On an average,three to four cases of vehicle thefts or break-ins have been reported daily.
On March 1,thieves escaped with Rs 9 lakh from a money transfer agents office in Sector 70,and a day later,a house was burgled in the same sector. Kailash Ahuja,who had gone to Chandigarh with his family,returned home to find gold ornaments and Rs 50,000 missing.
Alarmed over the increased activity of thieves,Mohali SSP said there was a need to intensify patrolling at night under the direct supervision of police officers.
We will make all out efforts to track down the bandits and ensure the safety of residents, assured the SSP,while urging the public to help the police in curbing crime.
* Amit Sharma of Phase IX loses his motorcycle on January 27. FIR lodged on February 27.
* Uttam Gujral of Phase II loses his jeep on December 23,2008. Case registered on February 26.
* Manoj Sainis computer shop in Zirakpur ransacked on February 3. FIR penned down on February 26.
* Dil Bahadur loses 1,000 broilers from poultry farm at Saidpur village in Kharar on December 5,2008. Case lodged on February 24.
* Harminder Singh of Phase X loses his scooter on June 11,2008. FIR registered on February 21.