The ruling SAD-BJP combine is preparing an ammunition of ‘development works’ that the government has carried out, to take on the opposition on the floor of the House for the rest of this budget session until March 22.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal has invited legislators of the ruling combine for a working dinner on Wednesday night, during which he will prime them with an exhaustive “development” report card of the government, sources in the party said.
- Punjab CM acting like arrogant ‘Raja’, shouldn’t reject joint fight against drugs, says SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal
- Resolve differences, prepare for 2019 war: SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal to NDA allies
- Shiromani Akali Dal president to camp in Shahkot for nine days for bypolls
- Punjab: Sukhbir Badal asks EC to order arrest of Laadi Sherowalia
- Punjab: Sukhbir Badal, Vijay Sampla share stage at BJP rally, say tie-up to stay
- Punjab polls: Badal credits victory to people who voted for performance
Sukhbir has been on a presentation spree, first showcasing the works in a dinner he hosted for SAD office-bearers last month. Later, he made a presentation to the media.
After the Governor’s address on Tuesday, SAD-BJP legislators met to chalk out a strategy to counter the opposition onslaught on the floor of the House. Names of key speakers to lead the charge on various issues were finalised.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, who has categorically said Punjab does not have a drop of water to share with Haryana, is likely to make a comprehensive address as the water-sharing issue is set to rock the state assembly with Congress already in a blistering attack mood. Badal though left the meeting shortly after it began. A BJP legislator said the CM left the meeting early as he was feeling “little unwell”.
Some MLAs dwelt on the need to ensure that the budget isn’t partial to any section of ahead of the 2017 assembly polls and for this reason, special attention needs to be paid on the issue of taxes said a leader present in the meeting. “The legislators appreciated the government move to enhance the old age pension to double the amount beneficiaries are getting,” said another leader.