The Punjab government has announced a reward of Rs 1 lakh for informers of illegal sex-determination and female foeticide in the state, Principal Secretary (Health and Family Welfare) Vini Mahajan said on Wednesday.
He was speaking at the Inter State Convergence and Coordination Meeting between Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh on the Pre Conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques Act (PC-PNDT).
- PM Modi launches Ayushman Bharat Scheme from Jharkhand: All you need to know
- Maharashtra govt to launch National Health Protection Scheme on Sept 25
- Chandigarh’s health disorder
- Supreme Court seeks steps to stop sex-determination contents on websites
- Cops,surgeons to be roped in to enforce PC-PNDT Act
- Need strict enforcement of PNDT Act to check declining sex ratio
Mahajan also said Punjab would have no objection if officials of PNDT cells from neighbouring states visit here to check ultrasound centres while acting on tip-offs. He also said that if the neighbouring state wishes to inform Punjab prior to any such raid, they would get full support and follow-up action from the government here, and if they don’t opt for it, the state would still extend its full cooperation.
The meeting, between principal secretaries (Health and Family Welfare) of the three states, was held on health related and social areas with a key focus on issues like curbing female foeticide.
During the meeting the Himachal’s representative, Vineet Chawdhry, stressed upon the proper and early registrations and tracking of all pregnancies.
It was decided by the three participating states that such meetings would be held on a quarterly basis.