March 29, 2009 3:02:59 am
The Senate meeting held on Saturday at Panjab University has decided to hike the fee of NRI students by 5 per cent for those already pursuing a course in the 2008-09 session. For those in the first year,the hike in fees is 10 per cent.
The Senate also took up for consideration the proposal of allowing students to write their PhD entrance exams in regional languages like Punjabi and also Hindi.
The House also decided that a notice of disaffiliation be served upon Dhanwantari Ayurvedic College in Sector 46,prohibiting it from admitting students in the first year.
In what comes as good news for students of LLB,the Senate has decided to allow them a chance to improve their results by appearing in an additional paper.
Best of Express Premium
On the issue of approving teachers on deputation,heated arguments were exchanged among the fellows. Eventually,it was resolved that proper rules be formed before hiring faculty on deputation.
The Senate also set parity in the fees paid by students,belonging to the SC and General categories,for pursuing a course at UIAMS. It was decided that students under the SC category will also pay Rs 2 lakh per annum,at par with students under the General category,as the course is a self-financing course. The students under the SC category,earlier,paid Rs 1.25 lakh per annum as fees.
Two courses a five-year integrated course in MA English and Diploma in early childcare and education were approved by the House today.
The House also decided that BEd colleges affiliated to the university will be fined Rs 50,000 per year for the period during which they functioned without principals in office. The penalty for various colleges range from Rs 50,000 to Rs 16,00,000.
The Senate also decided that the first year BA examinations will be conducted by the University itself after the affiliated colleges refused to conduct the same.
* 5 per cent fee hike for NRI students. For those in first year,the hike is 10 per cent.
* Students may be allowed to write PhD entrance exam in regional languages.
* Disaffiliation notice served on Ayurvedic College,asked to stop admissions.
* Students under the General and SC category to pay same fees,Rs 2 lakh per annum,for UIAMS courses.
* BA first-year exams stay with Panjab University
Respected V-C,please answer
* Fellow Gurmeet to Vice-Chancellor: Some one asked me how the vice-chancellor managed to get an extension,I replied,Yaar kaam kiya hai aur contacts hote hai,mil jaatein hai extension. (He got an extension as he has worked hard and has good contacts)
* Fellow Gurmeet to Vice-Chancellor: For the fact that you have started over fifty courses in the last three years,I really feel like comparing you to the cartoon character Chacha Chowdhry because uska dimag computer se bhi tez tha (His brain was sharper than a computer).
* Fellow Prabhjit to Vice-Chancellor: Sir apna phone toh bandh kar lo,sabko khete rehte ho (Please switch off your phone as way you preach the same to everyone).
* Fellow G S Gosal to Vice-Chancellor: Aapke paas itne power hai,thoda istemaal bhi kar liya karo (You have so much power,why dont you use some of it).
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.