CONGRESS DEPUTY Leader in the Lok Sabha Capt Amarinder Singh on Sunday refuted allegations by the SAD that the Sarbat Khalsa had got support of the Congress, saying SAD was trying to divert public attention as “the core issues of desecration and killing of peaceful protesters remain unaddressed.”
He also targeted Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal over his continued silence, saying, “He has proved himself to be a coward who runs away like a fugitive instead of facing the situation that is of his own making.”
- Punjab CM acting like arrogant ‘Raja’, shouldn’t reject joint fight against drugs, says SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal
- Punjab: Organisational structure soon, says Damdami Taksal
- Remove Sikki from Congress in two days: Deputy CM’s ultimatum to Capt Amarinder
- Master of divisive politics, Amarinder’s circus will end in few days: Punjab CM at Sadbhawna rally
- SAD’s Sadbhawna Rallies: Congress trying to take state back to dark days, says Parkash Singh Badal
- Aftermath of the Sarbat Khalsa: What the crisis in Punjab means for SAD
“You will do better if you start looking within and recognising and realising as why so many people attended the Sarbat Khalsa, instead of trying to find its origins in 10, Janpath or Moti Bagh Palace,” said Amarinder.
“It was hatched in every house across Punjab that has been hit and hurt by your misgovernance, corruption, failure of the agriculture, closure of the industry, drug smuggling, loot of the state, subversion of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) and Akal Takht authority, the desecration of the Guru Granth Sahib, the killing of peaceful protesters and the framing of innocent youth in false cases”, the former chief minister added.
Capt Amarinder said the Sarbat Khalsa may have been hijacked by a handful of radicals, but “huge participation of people” was an expression of public anger against the Badals.
Referring to the purported voice records of some Congress leaders, he said the state government had failed to identify the culprits behind the sacrilege and now it has “fabricated and electronically doctored the voice records” in a crude attempt to blame the Congress.