Jewellers protesting against the one per cent hike in excise duty, said the police resorted to lathicharge in order to suppress their protest, on Saturday. Police have denied this.
The Ludhiana chapter of All India jewellers Association was protesting against the hike called in the Union Budget. It was led by its president Anand Sikri along with Congress and AAP leaders and they blocked the Ladhowal chowk on Ludhiana-Jalandhar road for more than an hour.
The politicians including AAP MP Bhagwant Mann, Congress MLA Surinder Dabur, Bharat Bhushan Ashu, district president Gurpreet Gogi joined the protest against the BJP-led central government.
- AAP leaders meet CM Amarinder Singh, demand action against cops named in STF report
- Bikram Singh Majithia patronising drug traders: AAP MP Bhagwant Mann
- Amarinder Singh snubs Ravneet Bittu for his ‘public’ suggestion to take Bhagwant Mann into party fold
- Amarinder takes exception to party MP’s take Bhagwant Mann in Congress fold comment
- ‘Chitta Raavan’ clash probe: Congress MLAs begin ‘indefinite’ dharna outside CM Badal’s residence
- Congress protests against SAD-BJP policies amid heavy police presence
DCP Narinder Bhargav claimed that policemen sustained injuries due to protesters’ unruly behaviour. He said that the police tried to pacify them but they refused to lift the dharna.The police allegedly detained Congress MLA Bharat Bhushan Ashu, district Congress chief Gurpreet Bassi Gogi and took them to different police stations.
AAP MP Mann climbed a vehicle and tried to deliver a speech but alleged that the police stopped him and took him away from the protest site.
Police registered FIR under various sections of IPC against protesters. DCP claimed that none of the protesters were detained. He refuted allegations of lathicharge and said that no protester suffered major injury. Around five cops were also injured, he added.