Follow Us:
Friday, July 20, 2018

Pregnant woman dies at GMSH,angry relatives create a ruckus

Accuse doctors of negligence,vandalise premises; hospital marks ‘independent inquiry’

Written by Express News Service | Chandigarh | Published: August 14, 2013 2:15:24 am

Angry over the death of a 30-year-old pregnant woman,about hundreds of people gathered at the Government Multi-Speciality Hospital,Sector 16,and blocked the emergency building,threw stones and vandalised the hospital premises.

Around 6 on Monday evening,Harjinder Kaur and her baby were declared dead by doctors. The news of death angered the family members,who accused the doctors of negligence.

A post-mortem was to be conducted on Tuesday,but it was delayed till afternoon which antagonised the family members more. After waiting for hours,hundreds of people from Parch village near Mullanpur gathered at the hospital and started protesting.

Causing inconvenience to patients,the protesters locked the doors of emergency and entry gates of the hospital with tractors and other vehicles,and restricted the entry of patients. A few of them threw stones and broke windowpanes of the emergency block.

Sitting in front of the emergency door,Harjinder Singh,husband of the deceased,said: “My wife was undergoing treatment at GMSH-16. On August 8,she was admitted to the gynaecology department. Everything was fine. Doctors assured us that mother and baby were fine and the delivery will be normal.”

“During these four days,doctors and staff did not allow us to meet her. We brought her food and juice,but were not allowed to give her anything. They starved my wife and baby,” Harjinder alleged. “Around 5 pm on August 12, one of my family members managed to go inside and talked to her. She complained that she had not been given anything to eat or drink for the last two days. They starved her.”

Ikwinder Singh,brother of Harwinder Kaur,said,“She was fine till 5 pm,but in the next hour both mother and baby died. Further,doctors kept us in the dark by saying that they will go for a Caesarean,but the fact is that she had already died by 6 pm.”

“While we were waiting outside,a worker came to us and informed that the woman was dead and doctors were making fool of us. We rushed inside and saw her lying unconscious. She was dead,” Ikwinder added.

Jagveer Singh,brother-in-law of Harwinder Kaur,raised many questions. “Why were family members not allowed to meet her during her four-day stay at the hospital? Secondly,why doctors on duty did not inform us about her health status and kept telling us that everything is normal?”

The post-mortem was delayed for hours,which further angered the family members. “We have been waiting since 6 in the morning,but it is 3 pm now and no body has come for the post-mortem,” said a relative of the victim.

However,Dr Rajiv Vadera,Medical Superintendent,GMSH-16,said,“I received the police report by 11 am and sent the letter to GMCH-32 to conduct a post-mortem. The doctors from GMCH-32 hospital took some time to reach.”

He added,“An independent inquiry has been marked to Dr Anju Huria,head,gynaecology department,GMCH-32,and Dr Soma Rani,district family welfare officer. Relatives of Harwinder Kaur will also be a part of the inquiry committee.”

Dr Vadera said “the post-mortem report has suspected a uterus injury. Further,viscera is sent for examination and final report is awaited”.

The post-mortem was conducted by a team including Dr J P Bansal,Dr Supriya and Dr Charanpreet Kaur.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App