The Chandigarh Police on Tuesday claimed to have busted a gang involved in selling minor girls into prostitution.
The police arrested three persons and rescued three girls.
The accused were arrested during a trap laid by the police on Monday night. The police identified the accused as Raju, 31, Gopal Sarkar, 39, and Daddu Mondi, 28, all natives of West Bengal.
- Chandigarh: Police file supplementary chargesheet in 2016 gang rape case
- Chandigarh: Minor found 3-month pregnant, accused held
- Delhi: Man mistakes constable for trafficker, tries to ‘sell’ minor girl to him
- Trafficking case: Woman from Rohtak arrested by Bengal police
- Three arrested by Azad Maidan police for stealing four-wheelers
- Mumbai: 38-yr-old woman arrested while ‘trying to sell’ her daughters
“Four days ago, information was received about a group of people who were allegedly selling girls in Manimajra. An investigation was carried out and a trap was laid to nab the accused. A police official was sent as a bogus customer to strike a deal with the accused at Kishangarh roundabout, Manimajra. When the accused were trying to sell a 14-year-old girl for Rs 5,000, the police team nabbed the accused and recovered the girl,” said Inspector Jasbir Singh, SHO, Manimajra.
The police claim that during the preliminary investigation, it has been found that the accused were allegedly getting the girls from West Bengal and selling them in Chandigarh and the neighbouring states. “From the disclosure of the accused, two more girls, one of them a minor, were rescued. Both the minor girls were sent to Snehalaya while the other girl has been sent to Nari Niketan. A probe in the matter is under way,” the SHO added.
The police registered a case under sections 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention), 366-A (procuring a minor girl) and 372 (selling minor for purposes of prostitution) of the IPC at the Manimajra police station.