Differences within the Panchkula Congress unit came to the fore after important party leaders stayed away from the public meeting of Randeep Singh Surjewala.
Many leaders from the camp of Bhupinder Singh Hooda and Kumari Selja remained conspicuous by their absence. Panchkula mayor Upinder Ahluwalia, councillors Bhavna Gupta, Lily Bawa, Congress leaders Tarun Bhandari, Manvir Kaur Gill also remained absent.
- In four Haryana picks for CWC, bid to placate all factions
- Former Andhra Pradesh CM Kiran Kumar Reddy returns to Congress fold
- Congress alleges land scam in Navi Mumbai, targets CM Fadnavis
- Soz’s claims on Kashmir ‘cheap gimmick’ to sell book, says Congress
- Will not sacrifice interests of state leaders for sake of alliances: Congress
- Ready to contest against Om Parkash Chautala, says Randeep Singh Surjewala
Ahluwalia and Bawa cited personal reasons for not attending the function. While Ahluwalia said he went to his daughter’s place in Chandigarh, Bawa said he was not well.
Bhavna said: “ I am out of station.” Bhavna and Ranjeeta Mehta, the senior vice-president and spokesperson of Haryana Mahila Pradesh Congress, had contested elections against each other in the same ward and have been at loggerheads since then. Tarun Bhandari, treasurer, Haryana Pradesh Congress, also cited personal reasons for not attending the programme.
Meanwhile, Surjewala took a dig at the Manohar Lal Khattar- led BJP government in the state saying that it has been two years they have come to power and they could not even fill a single pothole of the broken roads of Panchkula.