Follow Us:
Sunday, July 22, 2018

Only 8 patents granted to Panjab University inventors since 2007

According to the data from the Centre for Industry Institute Partnership Programme (CIIPP) at PU, only eight patents have been granted to inventors from the varsity since 2007.

Written by Meghna Malik | Chandigarh | Published: January 13, 2016 2:57:33 am

WITH A significantly low number of patents filed by inventors at the varsity in the last few years, Panjab University is yet to take off in the field of research applications.

According to the data from the Centre for Industry Institute Partnership Programme (CIIPP) at PU, only eight patents have been granted to inventors from the varsity since 2007. In addition to this, 44 other patents have been filed by the university researchers since 2003.

PU Vice-Chancellor Arun Kumar Grover maintains that the majority of patents are normally granted in the fields of engineering or pharmacy. He admits that the varsity needs to strengthen its engineering department in order to be able to file for more patents. “Traditional universities like PU do not file for a lot of patents as the engineering base in India is quite weak outside of the IITs. The University Institute of Engineering and Technology is yet to take off; about 50 per cent of the staff at UIET do not even have PhD degrees right now,” Grover told Chandigarh Newsline.

“For getting patents, one has to do something so new that it has an application potential, and that is not so easily done. Quality research requires a lot of effort, and the university’s Research Promotion Cell and Internal Quality Assurance Cell have a specified agenda to enable that,” he added.

The university’s Research Promotion Cell, however, is now trying to make efforts to encourage better research. “The main aim of the RPC is to help various departments in contributing more to research activities, and consequently improve the scope of research applications. Various workshops and lectures for improving the research quality are being conducted at the university. More importantly, the RPC is also working towards removing the administrative hurdles for the research scholars,” said director of RPC Ramanjit Kaur Johal.

Currently, a week-long training school on ‘Research Techniques in Pharmaceutical Sciences’ is being organised at University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (UIPS) under the UGC Networking Resource Centre Programme.

A new draft of the Intellectual Property Right policy has also been framed at the varsity, under which the inventors will now get 70 per cent of the patent share and the university will only get the remaining 30 per cent. Prior to this, inventors at PU were given only 60 per cent of the patent share. “Earlier, professors were allowed to file for patents individually, but now the university does not allow that. The patents are now filed in the name of the university, and the professors list their names as the inventors,” said Sanjeev Soni, honorary director of CIIPP.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App