Follow Us:
Tuesday, January 21, 2020

After confessing to killing girlfriend on TV, man breaks down in court: ‘I’ve made a mistake’

Maninder Singh allegedly killed Sarabjeet Kaur at a Chandigarh hotel on December 30, as he suspected her of being in a relationship with another man.

Written by Jagpreet Singh Sandhu | Chandigarh | Updated: January 16, 2020 10:25:19 pm
Nurse’s murder at Chandigarh hotel: Before being sent to 5-day police remand, accused breaks down in court: ‘I’ve committed a mistake’ The Chandigarh police apprised the court about the accused Maninder’s criminal record.

Maninder Singh, who allegedly murdered his woman friend at a hotel in Chandigarh on December 30, was remanded in police custody for five days by the Chandigarh District Court here on Wednesday.

Singh (30) was produced in the Court of Judicial Magistrate First Class Kushal Singla on Wednesday evening.

He was arrested on Tuesday after he appeared in the office of a local TV news channel and confessed to the crime.

The Chandigarh police apprised the court about Singh’s criminal record — he has been convicted of another murder — and the revelations in the case concerning the murder of Sarabjeet Kaur, a nurse, at Hotel Sky. The police told the court that the accused had been on the run after committing the crime, and on Tuesday, he admitted to the murder in the office of a TV news channel. The police, thus, sought six-day remand of the accused and said the murder weapon and the blood-stained clothes of the accused were yet to be recovered.

During the proceedings in the courtroom, the accused broke down, and said, “I have committed a mistake.” However, it was not clear as to which mistake the accused was referring to. Following the incident, the judge asked the accused to calm down, and he was offered a glass of water.

The court further probed him and asked about where he had kept the weapons that he had used to commit the crime and where he had kept the victim’s mobile phone. On this, the accused replied that he went to Ludhiana in a bus after committing the crime, and left the weapon on the bus.

The accused told the court that he eventually went to Gurudwara Jyoti Sarup at Sirhind, where he dumped the mobile phone of the victim in the Gurudwara’s pond. The accused confessed that he then picked his car from the gurudwara’s parking lot and drove to Patiala Gurudwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib and Mukstar. The accused also told the court that he kept going from one place to another after that.

The court granted the police five-day remand of the accused, who will next be produced in the court on Monday.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App