Night food street ‘worse than before’,HC tells UT,MChttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/chandigarh/night-food-street-worse-than-before-hc-tells-ut-mc/

Night food street ‘worse than before’,HC tells UT,MC

HC asks MC to respond to the amicus curiae report.

Maintaining that the night food street has become “worse than before”,the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Friday berated the Chandigarh Administration and Municipal Corporation for neglecting the street which was re-launched with much fanfare.

“If you cannot run it then close it,” a division bench comprising Justices Surya Kant and Ajay Tewari said orally. Coming down heavily at the lackadaisical attitude of the authorities,the bench remarked that “nobody wants to work in the administration”.

Pointing out the exorbitant rates at which meals are available at the night food street,Sector 14,the bench observed that as against the undertaking given by the administration that all four kiosks would serve different foods,two kiosks were serving the same stuff. The bench also remarked that the food was not available at reasonable rates.

When told that the Chandigarh Administration was going to commence its “night food fare”,the bench took a dig,saying that it was rather going to be a “nightmare”. The development took place when senior lawyer Atul Lakhanpal,amicus curiae in the case,produced photographs of the night food street demonstrating filth and state of utter neglect.

Advertising

One of the pictures showed a worker at the night food street seeking shelter at night in the women’s washroom. Terming the conditions “shocking”,the High Court has asked the Municipal Commissioner to respond to the report and assertions made by the amicus curiae in his report.

The night food street was re-launched recently after the High Court had hauled up the administration earlier this year taking note of its deplorable condition. The Municipal Corporation had undertaken to revamp the food street. But the “new” conditions,the High Court remarked on Friday,are even “worse than before”.

The case will now come up for a resumed hearing on November 29.