For Amritpal Singh,a resident of Jhill village,January 25 was an auspicious day as on this day he was blessed with a son. Little did he know that a week later,he would lose his bundle of joy to an inferno at the Neonatalogy Unit of the Government Rajindra Hospital.
I was told that the entire unit had caught fire and my son was among those injured. A little later,it was confirmed that my son had died due to excessive burns, he sobbed outside the ward where his wife was admitted. My wife Manjit Kaur is in shock. Please do not try to approach her for any version. She is inconsolable, he added.
Destiny played a cruel joke with Charanjit Kaur,a resident of Kaithal,who also lost her child in the fire.
The guilty should be punished for their negligence. Money cannot bring back my son, said she.
For Patiala resident Geeta Devi,life has lost its meaning as she lost her six-day-old son in the blaze.
I had many plans for my child. I had been saving money to come to Government Rajindra Hospital for treatment but all is finished now,I want to die, she murmured.
Vegetable vendor Raj Kumars three-day-old daughter has received burn injuries. Who knows she might have to suffer with the stigma of burns for the rest of her life, he said. My father has already spent Rs 20,000 on my wifes pregnancy and if the government does not help me,who would marry my daughter. I am a poor man, he added.
Heroes of the day
Meanwhile,the heroes of the day were Surjit Singh Amar Singh who risked his life and entered the burning unit. They together rescued the children.
We broke down the window panes to let out the smoke. I used my blanket to save the children, he said.