Mehram case: Police question 60 people of private bus service, visit forest site

Around 50 drivers and 10 other staff members of a Punjab-based bus service were questioned.

By: Express News Service | Mohali | Published: November 14, 2014 5:14:01 am
A police team at the spot where Mehram’s body was found, in Mohali on Thursday. (Source: Express photo) A police team at the spot where Mehram’s body was found, in Mohali on Thursday. (Source: Express photo)

Claiming that it has got “significant leads’’, the Mohali police on Thursday questioned around 60 people working in a private bus service in connection with the abduction and murder of six-year-old Mehram Sandhu, whose body was found in Sector 69 last week.

“We have got significant leads, but cannot disclose as this will hamper the investigation. At this stage, it is very important to keep the link between the suspects and the case under wraps. Around 50 drivers and 10 other staff members of a Punjab-based bus service were questioned,’’ said a police official.

He added, “We’re also analysing the mobile phone call details of the area.’’

A police team visited the unauthorised garbage dumping site in the forest area where the boy’s body was found by a sanitation worker on November 7.  Earlier, the police had questioned a few construction workers who live near the spot but they claimed to have witnessed nothing suspicious.

The police are keeping a close watch on the locality where Mehram’s maternal grandparents live in Phase 9. They have also questioned many people living in the area.

Mehram, along with his mother Harinder Kaur, stayed with his grandparents. He had disappeared on October 28 from a park near his house.

His grandfather Balwinder Singh had lodged a complaint against Mehram’s Sydney-based father Varinderpal Sandhu, his father, sister and brother-in-law. Varinderpal and Harinder have separated, but there is a financial dispute between the two families.

However, the police have not found anything incriminating against Varinderpal and his relatives, who stay in phase 1 in Mohali and Kharar.

“I can hardly believe what has happened in the last two weeks. Our family has a clean record and we fail to understand why we have been accused of such a heinous crime. My elderly parents have to bear the stigma that has come with these accusations. I only want that the police should bring out the truth as soon as possible,” Varinderpal told Newsline over the phone.

He said that he had no plans of coming back  to India but “I am co-operating with the police over the telephone”.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement