Mayor Arun Sood visited the cremation ground in Sector 25 to review the work being upgraded there on Friday.
After receiving several complaints about the poor maintenance of the cremation ground and the children’s graveyard next to it, Sood, in his previous visit around a month ago, had pulled up the chief engineer and superintending engineer of the municipal corporation.
- Alternative site for Chandigarh’s Car Bazar: Panel decides to explore a number of sites
- Swachhta award: BJP councillors compete for credit
- Noida police stop accident victim’s funeral to take body for autopsy
- Chandigarh: In poor condition, crematorium in Sector 25 cries for attention
- Chandigarh Mayor raps officials over poor maintenance of children’s graveyard
- Chandigarh local body to regularise Manimajra ‘cremation ground’
He had received complaints about how because of the gaps in the wire fencing, stray dogs enter the graveyard and were danger to new burials. There had been complaints that the graves are not marked properly, posing difficulties when new graves are dug.
“Estimates of the repair work have been prepared by the engineering wing. Four zones would be created in the children graveyard so that the places are earmarked as to where to bury the child,” said Sood.
Also, the officials have been directed to install new fan. “As directed during the previous visit, the water problem had been checked. New fans and sheets would replace the existing ones,” said Sood.
During the visit, it was also directed that high mast lights may be installed. A stretch there would be made into a parking lot and part of it a lawn, as directed by the mayor.