Even as the International Yoga Day event at Capitol Complex concluded smoothly Tuesday, commuters had to face a lot of inconvenience due to closure of roads at several places in the city.
Intersections and roads were closed due to movement of Prime Minister’s cavalcade which was on its way to the airport. Several commuters complained that the traffic at the Transport Light Point was closed for more than 20 minutes in the morning.
“Monday evening, many had to face inconvenience. Today as well, the roads were closed for more than 20 minutes,” rued one commuter.
- Mumbai: Closure of two bridges leads to chaos on roads
- Heavy rain throws traffic out of gear in Chandigarh
- Traffic authorities at sea as Mumbai roads turn into rivers
- Mumbai: Roads under water, traffic diverted
- Rain, stalling of Western Railway services hit road traffic
- Chinese President’s movement causes traffic jams in Delhi
All the major intersections witnessed traffic snarls, after they were barricaded by security personnel due to the movement of the PM Modi’s cavalcade.
Traffic officials, however, had a different story to tell. “The traffic was not stopped beyond 3 to 4 minutes. The traffic personnel deployed on the ground even guided commuters about the movement and helped them with alternative routes,” said Rajiv Kumar Ambastha, DSP Traffic, UT police.
He said that the traffic cops were deployed till 2 pm after everything was cleared.
“A total of 650 buses had come from neighbouring states. Our personnel did a good job and managed things very well,” said Kumar.