Judicial Magistrate Rajnish Sharma imposed a fine of Rs 5 lakh with 6 per cent interest on the Haryana State Electricity Board for rendering a 5-year-old boy Suraj Malik handicapped after his hands and private parts were burnt by high tension feeder lines passing over the roof of his house in Vashistnagar in Ambala Cantonment.
The boy got relief after a seven-year long struggle by his parents who had filed case against the HSEB on July 20,2004. The court gave relief to the handicapped boy who is now 12-years-old.
The incident dates back to June 14,2004,when 5-year-old Suraj was studying at his house and his sister Sonia had gone for tuition to the neighbours house. His mother asked him to call Sonia from the roof. Suraj went to the roof to call his sister to return home.
But while crossing over the high powered electric line,he got the shock and his hands and the portion below his stomach were burnt. He was taken to Military Hospital where his badly burnt hands were amputated and he was rendered handicapped. Surajs parents filed a case in court and it took seven years to get justice from the court.
The judicial magistrate after hearing arguments from both the sides announced his decision imposing penalty of Rs 5 lakh on the HSEB as compensation to the victim. The court also ordered the HSEB to pay interest at the rate of 6 percent from the date of filing the case in the court. Since Suraj has been rendered handicapped,he has been continuing his studies and writes with his foot. Suman Chaudhry,Surajs mother said that her son was studying in 7th class and didnt face any difficulty in writing with his foot. Despite losing hands,her son is doing well in his studies and gets good marks. However,she said that he had been suffering from some disease after his private parts were damaged in the incident.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines