Hooch tragedy: 2 bodies exhumed for postmortemhttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/chandigarh/hooch-tragedy-2-bodies-exhumed-for-postmortem/

Hooch tragedy: 2 bodies exhumed for postmortem

The bodies of two victims of the hooch tragedy,which struck the villages of Dasuya subdivision and claimed 19 lives on October 27 and 28.

The bodies of two victims of the hooch tragedy,which struck the villages of Dasuya subdivision and claimed 19 lives on October 27 and 28,were exhumed on Saturday. Riaz and Jamala,both residents of Kahlwan village,were among the first few to die on October 27 and were buried the same day without a postmortem.

The state government has announced a compensation of

Rs 50,000 for the next of kin of each of the deceased and the bodies were exhumed because the exact cause of their death can be ascertained only after a postmortem.

The families of these two people had been claiming that the two had also died after consuming liquor and they should be paid compensation,too. Keeping in view their contention,the postmortem was conducted at the Dasuya civil hospital,said Sub-Divisional Magistrate,Dasuya,Jasbir Singh.

According to sources,no postmortem was done on the body of another migrant youth,Ramu,whose name figures in the list of 19 victims. His body had been allegedly thrown in Beas river without the knowledge of his family. Ramu was employed by Ranjit Singh,the sarpanch of Kahlwan village,who is also the brother of the main accused,Jaswant Singh. Ramu’s body was disposed of in the river,allegedly at the behest of Ranjit.

Advertising

Dasuya Station House Officer Balbir Singh said: “The authorities wanted to conduct a postmortem on Ramu’s body,but we have not been able to locate it. The villagers said his body was thrown in Beas. This is illegal and strict action will be taken under law.”