A wave of shock and grief swept through G C Chateerji Hall,hostel number 2 of the Panjab University,on Thursday late afternoon when a UIET student was burnt to death in his hostel room 60.
A fourth-year student of Electronics and Communication Engineering,Amandeep Singh had got engaged two months back and was likely to get married this year.
Tears in their eyes,his friends said it could not be a suicide case as he was all happy in his life and used to talk to his fiancée frequently. Born into an opulent family,the victim had no financial problems that could force him to take this extreme step. I cannot believe that he could kill himself. It is not a case of suicide at all, said sobbing Sarvpreet,his friend.
Being a baptised Sikh,Amandeep was not into drugs or did not have any other bad habits,said Popinder,who belonged to his village Rasih Kalan in Moga district. He used to actively participate in all religious functions organised at PU gurdwara.
He used to perform seva at gurdwara whenever there was Gurpurb. He was well-built and was in habit of exercising, said hostel warden Harish Kumar. Though an average student,Amandeep,according to his friends,was happy-go-lucky boy.
He was always seen with a smile on his face, said the hostel staff.
The room number 60 of block II,which was occupied by Aman and his roommate,of hostel 2 turned black due to the intense fire and heavy smoke gripped the entire hostel. Chetan,Amandeeps roommate,was in shock; he could not speak anything.