scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Sunday, May 29, 2022

4 killed in landslide in Haryana mining zone, several feared trapped

🔴 A few workers were also said to have been injured in the landslide. The rescue operation was launched by the district administration, even as the exact number of fatalities is yet to be ascertained.

By: Express News Service | Chandigarh |
Updated: January 2, 2022 11:21:05 am
Haryana miningWhile the district administration has initiated a rescue operation, the exact number of fatalities is yet to be ascertained. (Express photo)

At least four mining workers were killed and several others feared trapped under the debris following a landslide at the

Dadam mining zone in Tosham block of Haryana’s Bhiwani district on Saturday morning.

A few workers were also said to have been injured in the landslide. The rescue operation was launched by the district administration, even as the exact number of fatalities is yet to be ascertained.

Giving details about this mining incident, Haryana Home Minister Anil Vij said, “Four persons have lost their lives, while a few have sustained injuries. It is deeply saddening. The rescue operation is going on. Teams of NDRF (National Disaster Response Force) from Ghaziabad and SDRF (State Disaster Response Force) from Madhuban have been called for expediting the rescue operation. Help from Army has also been sought and a unit from Hisar is likely to reach the site.”

Best of Express Premium

Why I fell in love with Microsoft’s Surface Laptop Studio despite its sho...Premium
Penalties for delays, cuts in weekly pay: Life gets riskier for 10-minute...Premium
The Sunday Profile: Father, son and ‘holy suits’Premium
Tavleen Singh writes: India must choosePremium

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Haryana minister JP Dalal, who reached the site, said, “A few people have lost their lives, three have reached hospitals. According to the mining contractor here, there could be three-four more people trapped inside. Team of doctors have reached the site. We are making all possible efforts to save as many lives as we can. Entire district administration and resources required for disaster management have been deployed at the site. The sole purpose is to save as many as we can. The process of clearing the debris and getting out those who are feared trapped is going on at fast pace”.

Local tehsildar Ravinder Kumar said, “Three out of the four bodies identified included workers from Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh, while the identity of fourth worker was being ascertained”.

Chief Medical Officer, Bhiwani, Raghubir Shandilya said that it was feared that there could be more casualties as a number of other people were feared to have been buried in the landslide.

After the National Green Tribunal (NGT) barred mining owing to the increasing pollution in the National Capital Region (NCR), the mining operation was restored at Dadam last Friday.

Large-scale stone mining is carried out in the belt. The stones from here are also sold in Haryana and Rajasthan. At the time when the landslide took place, there were porcelain machines being used for the mining. Dumpers and trolleys were also stationed at the site that got trapped in the landslide.

Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar expressed grief over the deaths in the incident. In a statement, Khattar expressed his condolences to the bereaved families and prayed for speedy recovery of those injured in the accident.

“Over phone call, the Chief Minister took information about the accident from Deputy Commissioner, Bhiwani, Dr. RS Dhillon and directed that cranes, fire brigade and other machinery should be immediately called from the adjoining districts to clear the debris so that the people buried under it could be rescued”, a government spokesperson said.

Earlier in the day, Tosham MLA Kiran Choudhry told The Indian Express, “The exact number of people trapped is not known yet. The mining was barred in the area due to the NGT’s (National Green Tribunal) order. It is also feared that at least four-five workers have died, while the number of fatalities could go up, according to the information that I am receiving from the spot”.

Choudhary, a senior Congress MLA, charged that “The district administration is also to be blamed for the laxity with which they started the rescue operation. I had been trying to get in touch with the district administration, but it was only after much delay that they reached the site and initiated the rescue operation,” adding that “the mining activities in the state are also not being carried out according to the permissible norms, which result in such incidents”.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement