Former Panchkula MLA and Congress leader D K Bansal passed away in a hospital in Mumbai on Wednesday. He was 49.
Bansal was reportedly detected with cancer around a month back. He was admitted to a private hospital in Mumbai where he underwent surgery. His condition deteriorated two days back and he was put on a ventilator. He passed away around 11 am. He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
- Battleground Panchkula: Problems and controversies surrounding Municipal Corporation
- Leader of Jharkhand movement and former MP Bagun Sumbrai dies
- D K Shivakumar — Man who saved the day for Congress has eyes on bigger prize
- Haryana election result: In another first, BJP’s Gian Chand Gupta wins Panchkula
- Cong readies for PMC polls
- Cong announces candidates for Panchkula,Kalka
An advocate by profession, Bansal was elected MLA from Panchkula in 2009. Prior to that, in 2004, he was elected MLA from Ambala Cantt, defeating Anil Vij who is at present Haryana’s health minister. Bansal unsuccessfully fought the last year’s Assembly election from Panchkula seat, which was won by BJP leader Gyan Chand Gupta.
In 2006, Bansal had tendered his resignation against the failure of the Congress to undertake development in his constituency. However, the issue was later resolved.
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar expressed grief over Bansal’s sudden demise. In a condolence message, the CM conveyed his heartfelt sympathies to the members of the bereaved family.
The house rented by Bansal in Sector 12 wore a deserted look on Wednesday. During the 2014 Assembly elections, Bansal used to work from the office situated in the house. The owners of the house said that the former MLA had visited the house on few occasions in the past, and generally stayed at his Ambala residence.
Bansal’s cremation will take place at Ambala on Thursday.