Follow Us:
Friday, July 20, 2018

Fire breaks out in Sector 41 market,guts two shops

A Major fire broke out in Sector 41 and engulfed two shops on Wednesday afternoon.

Written by Express News Service | Chandigarh | Published: February 2, 2012 2:18:41 am

A Major fire broke out in Sector 41 and engulfed two shops on Wednesday afternoon. A short circuit has been cited as the reason behind the incident,which destroyed goods and machinery worth lakh of rupees. However,no one was injured in the fire as the employees had left the shop when the fire went out of control.

The two shops,a flex printing and an immigration company,were situated on the top floor of the building,and was owned by Surender Singh.

Speaking to Newsline,Nitin,an employee at the shop,said,“There was no electricity due to a power cut in the afternoon . When the electricity supply resumed,it led to a short circuit in the main board at around 2:30 pm. The fire then spread to the nearby sofas.” The employees tried to douse the fire but were unable to bring it under control. They then informed the fire department about the incident.

On reaching the spot,the fire department used a sky lift to gain access to the second floor of the building and used water cannons to bring the fire under control. The hoardings in the building hampered the work of the firemen. It took the firemen about 90 minutes to bring the fire under control.

Some of the employees alleged that the fire team reached the spot 30 minutes late,but Fire Officer Sham Singh,Sector 38 fire station,refuted the allegation. He said that they had received a call regarding the fire at 3:16 pm and reached the spot within minutes. Six fire tenders,two water engines and a hydraulic sky lift were rushed to the spot. The employees salvaged whatever they could from the shops.

Meanwhile,the owner told the police in his statement that he was not able to ascertain the estimated loss as he was yet to visit the shop after the incident.

He had recently bought a printing machine worth around Rs 5 lakh,which was also destroyed in the fire. The company had no insurance of anything in the shop.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App