Follow Us:
Friday, July 20, 2018

Fire at Fun Republic during shows

Multiplex audiences safely evacuated; security guard suffers minor injuries.

Published: January 1, 2012 11:31:45 pm

A minor fire broke out on the second floor of Fun Republic,Manimajra,at 11:40 am on Saturday. All those watching movies at the time were safely evacuated and a security guard employed with the Multiplex sustained minor injuries while trying to douse the flames.

There were no other injuries. According to fire safety officials,the fire broke out in the Food Court kitchen on the second floor due to a short circuit. Eight fire tenders were rushed to spot and the fire was doused in 15 minutes.

When the fire broke out,movies were on in four multiplex theatres. Panic was visible among the movie-watchers,even half an hour after the fire was brought under control. Many people were evacuated from the theatres and the two floors of the prominent mall.

“As it was the last day of the year,I was watching a movie along with my wife and child at the multiplex. At around 11.45 am,the security man came and told us to vacate the theatre as a fire had broken out on the second floor,” said Rakesh Kumar,a resident of Panchkula.

Fun Republic Senior Manager G S Brar informed that all shows at the multiplex till 4 pm were canceled for safety reasons. “But after 4 pm,films were screened. We also refunded the money to all those who could not watch the films before 4 pm,” said Brar.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App