Eyewitnesses belie complaint,say there was no manhandlinghttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/chandigarh/eyewitnesses-belie-complaint-say-there-was-no-manhandling/

Eyewitnesses belie complaint,say there was no manhandling

A property dealer based in Sector 20,Kumar filed an FIR registered against the inspector on charges of criminal intimidation,theft and extortion.

Claiming that the complainant pulled down the shutters of his shop and handed over the keys to “someone”,“eye witnesses” said that Harish Kumar was not manhandled by Inspector Amanjot Singh,as alleged,on April 27. A property dealer based in Sector 20,Kumar filed an FIR registered against the inspector on charges of criminal intimidation,theft and extortion.

The shopkeepers,who claim to be eye witnesses,said that Harish was not physically assaulted by anyone. They added that he (Harish) had handed over the keys of his shop to a man sitting in a vehicle,parked outside his shop.

However,Harish had alleged,in his complaint,that Singh pulled down the shutters and snatched the keys from him. Following this,the police had received a call from Harish’s business partner,Sudarshan Kumar,to report the incident.

Bhushan Mahanjan,president of the Sector 20 Market association,told Chandigarh Newsline,“When the incident took place,I was sitting outside my shop. I noticed that Harish came out of his shop,pulled down the shutters,locked the shop and handed over the keys to someone,who was in a car. This happened at around 6 pm”.


Mahajan,whose shop is in the same row as that of Harish and Sudarshan added,“I enquired the reason for Kumar closing the shop so early. Harish said that it was Inspector Singh in the car and he took the keys from him as Sudarshan had not paid him the money that he had borrowed”.

As per the FIR,Sunil and Samar were present in the shop,when four months back,Inspector Singh allegedly took away Rs 3 lakh from the cash box lying in Kumar and Sudarshan’s shop.

Talking to Chandigarh Newsline,Sunil said,“On the said day,Sudarshan came to me and gave me Rs 3 lakh. He just asked me to give Sudarashan the money when he will call. About an hour later he gave me a call. I went to his office gave him the money and came back. I have no idea what happened to that money later. Also,I am totally unaware about Saturday’s incident. Instead of mentioning me in the FIR,the mehandi artist who sits outside could have been a more reliable witnesses as he was sitting outside the entire time”.

The daily wager,(artist) who sits outside Harish and Sudarshan’s Sector 20 shop said,“I was here the whole time. The police has never questioned me. There was no scuffle”.

One of Harish’s family members said,“Harish had not taken a single penny from anyone. It was Sudarshan who had borrowed the sum of Rs 1 crore from the UT Police Inspector. He had to return the money and it was a matter of chance that when the incident took place,Harish was present at the shop”.

Meanwhile,Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) EOW,Ram Chander Meena said,“I have received a formal communication to inquire into the matter today. I had a word with DSP KK Sharma who will also be handling the inquiry into the case. We have decided to meet the DIG (Deputy Inspector General) Alok Kumar tomorrow and proceed with the case”.