scorecardresearch
Saturday, Dec 03, 2022
Premium

Explosion rocks Mattewara as Army winds up Op Saiyam

In the last phase of Operation Saiyam going on in Mattewara forests,a blast occurred in the defused scrap on Sunday,injuring an Army sapper. The drive has been delayed for another week.

In the last phase of Operation Saiyam going on in Mattewara forests,a blast occurred in the defused scrap on Sunday,injuring an Army sapper. The drive has been delayed for another week.

According to information,the bomb disposal squad was re-checking the defused scrap to completely sanitise the area before winding up the operation. A team of four sappers was checking a heap of scrap when the remains of a bomb exploded in the hands of Sapper F P Khan.

All four were rushed to Dayanand Medical College and Hospital here where doctors said Khan suffered a fracture in his jaw. Col Vinod Bhatt,in charge of the operation,said: “A part of an unexploded bomb went off on the face of Khan. He is lucky to have sustained only minor injuries. He will be discharged in a day or two. Except for Khan,the rest are absolutely fine.”

The other three sappers were A S Negi,Y D Pawar and Suresh Chander. Col Bhatt said they would take another week to wind up the operation. He said while the entire stock of explosives had been defused,they would now re-check the defused scrap once again. “After this accident,the re-checking exercise will be more stringent and we will vacate the forest reserve in another week,” added Col Bhatt.

Subscriber Only Stories
UPSC Essentials| Weekly news express with MCQs : Project GIB, Remittances...Premium
Delhi Confidential: Why CJI Chandrachud says children should be taught as...Premium
Shaped by war: Ukraine artist to showcase work at Kochi-Muziris BiennalePremium
Most drones crossing border originate from Pak Rangers outposts: AgenciesPremium

The bomb disposal squad carries out the exercise wearing a special suit weighing about 70 kg. The team was taking all possible precautions and despite that the mishap occurred in the final phase.

The operation started on November 17 and since then the residents of Sekhewal and Kalewal had been vacating their villages for a few hours in a day to avoid any mishap. For the last one week,however,the villagers were staying back in their houses because the operation was over and only re-checking was being done.

Rs 1.36 crore was estimated to be spent on the operation,which was recovered from the scrap importers on the directions of the High Court. Deputy Commissioner Rahul Tiwari said: “The Army has not given us the details of final expenses till now. We will charge the extra expenses incurred on this operation from the importers whose scrap containers were carrying these explosives. The exact detail will come out in a fortnight.”

First published on: 24-01-2011 at 06:29:02 am
Next Story

Himachal ropes in political leadership,govt institutions Census operation

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close