Follow Us:
Tuesday, February 18, 2020

‘Dowry death’: Post-mortem report says no injury marks except one on neck

Suchim, his father arrested, remanded in three-day police custody.

Written by Srishti Choudhary | Panchkula | Published: February 5, 2015 2:27:38 am
suchim gupta, panchkula dowry death Suchim Gupta being produced in Panchkula court on Monday. (Source: Express Photo by Jaipal Singh)

There were no other injury marks on Pooja’s body, except one on the neck which is typical of hanging, says the post-mortem report of 24-year-old Pooja, whose husband Suchim Gupta and his family members have been booked for allegedly murdering her for dowry last Friday.

“The injury mark was possibly caused by an object with a non-uniform thickness of around 0.8 to 1.2 cm. Since the police have not submitted any evidence in this regard, we cannot confirm, but it could possibly be a dupatta,” said Dr Sunil Gambhir, who was part of the three-member team which conducted the post-mortem.

He added, “It could not be a case of strangulation or throttling, but it is up to the police to investigate. There are no defence injury marks on any part of the body.”

Share This Article
Related Article

Dr Gambhir said that any bruises or injury marks on the body, which Pooja’s family reported having seen a few days before the death, might have healed.

The post-mortem was videographed and photographed and the viscera samples sent for examination. Later, Pooja’s family left for Bangalore with her body.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Hamid Akhtar said since the post-mortem had seemingly ruled out murder, they were now investigating if it could be a case of suicide.

“We are seeking legal opinion, following which we could convert it into a case of abetment of suicide against the accused,” he said.

Suchim, an engineer with SpiceJet, and his father Anil Gupta were arrested and produced in court

which sent them to three-day police remand. “We have not done anything,” said Suchim, on way to the court when asked about Pooja’s death.

In the court, when asked why they took the body to a private hospital without informing the police, Suchim said, “I thought she was alive when I brought her down. We then took her to the

hospital where she was declared dead.”

Suchim and Pooja had married on March 7 last year, following a two-year-long friendship on a social networking site.

“Pooja had left her studies to marry Suchim, but he started harassing her within two months after marriage. They did not even come near the body while it was lying at the hospital. We want justice,” said Pooja’s elder sister Kesar from Bangalore.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App.