The Chandigarh Health department says the number of dengue cases in September last year was more than 300, but the records of Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme (IDSP) – the disease surveillance department managed by union health ministry – mentions only 128 cases of dengue were recorded in the city till 38 week (September 25) last year.
As per the numbers, the increase in the dengue cases was witnessed in the beginning of the September and it continued till the last week of November in 2015.
Watch what else is making news
The health department has been repeatedly saying that this year the number is less than last year. “Till September 22 last year, we had recorded 302 cases of dengue,” said director (health services), Chandigarh, Dr Vanita Gupta.
The report compiled by the IDSP is the final confirmation of the dengue cases in the city. The numbers are gathered from the laboratories of the government-run testing centres.
According to the IDSP report, the city recorded 126 dengue cases from Week 34 till 38 last year. It further witnessed an steep increase thereafter in the next weeks. The dengue cases then recorded a decrease in the month of December.
When asked the IDSP report proves the number was less last year, UT’s Assistant Malaria Officer Dr Gaurav Aggarwal said , “In our records, we had collected all the sources of the dengue in the city. The IDSP report mentions confirm tests only. We are saying the numbers are higher last year, because we were including all sources and not only the confirmatory test only.”
Chikungunya cases: Probe ordered
Meanwhile, the UT health department on Thursday said that they have ordered a probe to investigated how the department was not sending the actual number cases of chikungunya to the health Ministry.
Chandigarh Newsline on Thursday had reported that the daily report submitted by the UT health department to the Regional Office of the union health ministry says that there are no Chikungunya cases from the city so far. The city has recorded six chikungunya cases so far.
“We are investigating the matter. Departmental action will be taken against the person who will be found responsible for this,” said Dr Vanita Gupta.
Dr Ravinder Ahluwalia, regional director, National Vector-borne Diseases Control Programme, Health Ministry told Chandigarh Newsline said his office received updated report mentioning six cases of chikungunya from the city.
“They told us that it was some error by the data operator. They have rectified it,” he said.