The Municipal Corporation has proposed to spruce up the site where the foundation stone was laid for the second phase of construction of Chandigarh in 1966. At present, the site is in a pitiable state.
The civic body has proposed that the Sehaj Safai Kendra (SSK) that is located near the site be shifted.
Area councillor Harjinder Kaur wrote a letter to the engineering wing to shift the same following orders of Adviser Vijay Dev.
- Chandigarh Municipal Corporation trolleys come playing Swachh jingles to collect waste
- Residents raise a stink over compost centre,civic body demolishes it
- Park opened by Mayor last month again inaugurated by councillor
- Safai Kendra maintenance likely to be outsourced
- Can UT become bin-free city?
- Chandigarh never turned bin-free
In order to pay tribute to the then Chief Commissioner M S Randhawa, who had inaugurated the second phase in December 1966, the work of preserving the site is likely to be completed before Randhawa’s birth anniversary on February 2. Randhawa passed away in 1988.
“I have been fighting for the preservation of the site for the last five years. The area is used by people to dry their clothes. The SSK is close to it and that, too, amidst the green belt. I do not know how it was constructed there. We are hoping that the work of developing this site will be completed before February 2,” said Kaur.
Chief Engineer Mukesh Anand said, “ Though it is the work of the Medical Officer of Health(MOH) to shift the safai kendra, authorities have asked me to pursue it. We will write to architects to start work on it immediately.”