scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Saturday, September 26, 2020

Chandigarh: Major fire breaks out in record room of CTU depot no. 1

The fire broke out around 4 am on Tuesday. The fire was first noticed by the staff members of CTU after which the fire brigade was informed.

By: Express News Service | Chandigarh | March 30, 2016 5:52:21 am

A major fire broke out in the record room on the first floor of Chandigarh Transport Undertaking (CTU) depot number 1 at Industrial Area Phase I on Tuesday, destroying a number of important records.

The fire broke out around 4 am on Tuesday. The fire was first noticed by the staff members of CTU after which the fire brigade was informed.

Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the firemen managed to control the fire.

Though the exact reason for the fire is yet to be discovered, but according to fire officials, the fire was caused by a cooking heater which was left switched on.

According to sources, it was an act of mischief as the record room had all the records related to tickets and recruitment of conductors. The CTU authorities were probing an alleged scam of ticketing involving a few conductors.

Sources said that the persons involved in the scam set the record room on fire to hide their misdeeds.

Director transport Amit Talwar has marked an inquiry to probe the incident. “The exact cause of fire are yet to be ascertain. We are looking at all the angles,” said Talwar.

Central Forensic Sciences Laboratory (CFSL) team also visited the spot and took samples for examination.

Police are also investigating the incident and they are struggling for clues as no CCTV cameras have been installed on the premises of the depot.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement