Security arrangements have been strengthened at the Chandigarh railway station ahead of Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s visit to the city to inaugurate eight projects on Sunday.
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal will also attend the function.
Sources in the Government Railway Police (GRP), Haryana, said additional security forces have been called in to enhance the security for Sunday’s function.
- After mishap at Modi event, stage reinforced, over 100 CCTVs for Martyrs’ Day rally
- At least 26 girls rescued by GRP, RPF in UP after fellow passenger tweets
- Chandigarh: Railway Protection Force plans to install 25 CCTV cameras at station
- No security men, no checking, ground check at Chandigarh railway station counters GRP claim: LET Commander
- Republic Day almost here,additional security nowhere
- Security off track at city railway station
“More than 250 additional personnel have been called from GRP and Railways Protection Force for the security,” a senior GRP official said, adding that barricading has been done at the railway station and the exit road too has been sealed from Saturday evening.
The GRP official said that they are expecting supporters and general public to participate in the function. “We have also deployed a dog squad at the station that is conducting patrolling,” he said.
Divisional Railways Manager (DRM), Ambala division, Dinesh Kumar said that the Union minister will arrive at the station at 2.30pm. “The inauguration function will continue till 3pm. Eight projects will be inaugurated in Chandigarh, Punjab and Haryana,” he said.
Explaining the projects, DRM said in Chandigarh, a new laundry of railways and foundation stone for 17 escalators and lifts will be done by minister.
“Subways that have been constructed in different parts of Haryana and Punjab, three projects from Haryana, additional facilities for Sonipat will be also inaugurated. A passenger train will also be flagged for Haryana. There are some additional traffic facilities for Chandigarh too. All the inaugurations will be done from Chandigarh through a remote,” said Kumar.
Before arriving at the Chandigarh railway station, Prabhu will visit the local BJP office in Sector 33 on Sunday morning.