For opening 2.22 lakh bank accounts under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana and having Rs 59 crore deposited in these accounts, the Chandigarh Administration has been conferred with the Prime Minister Award for excellence in Public Administration in the UT category.
The award was received by UT Deputy Commissioner Ajit Balaji Joshi from Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a ceremony held in New Delhi on Thursday.
The PM Awards for Excellence in Public Administration have been instituted to acknowledge, recognise and reward the innovative work done by officers of the Central and state governments for the welfare of common citizen.
Under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY), Chandigarh was conferred with an award for exemplary work showcased by the Union Territory.
As part of the initiative, the Chandigarh Administration has achieved the target of one account per household within seven months of launch of PMJDY. For enhancing enrolment under PMJDY, special counters were set up in various public dealing offices like the DC office, SDM and estate office. Asha and aganwari workers were also enrolled, outsourcing agencies enrolled their manpower, labour department was actively involved, awareness programmes were conducted and destitute women and widows were also enrolled.
A new category of excellence in implementing a priority programme which includes Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY), Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen), Swachh Vidyalaya and Soil Health Card Scheme has been added to the Prime Ministers Awards for Excellence in Public Administration.
* 2.22 lakh accounts opened under the PMJDY
* Rs 59 crore deposited in PMJDY accounts
* 49,778 people enrolled under Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana
* 1,27,389 people enrolled under Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
* 2,800 people enrolled under Atal Pension Yojana
* 1.99 lakh accounts seeded with Aadhaar out of 2.22 lakh accounts opened
* 1.02 lakh RuPay cards activated out of which 1.82 lakh have been issued
* 25 Active Bank Mitra in Chandigarh
* 40,615 transactions worth Rs 30.28 crore in last three months by Bank Mitra
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines