An elderly woman was allegedly duped and her gold bangles stolen by three persons in a car in broad daylight here on Tuesday.
The victim was identified as Moorti Devi, 70, a resident of Sector 7. The incident was reported around 12 noon, when Devi had gone to the market to buy vegetables.
- 2017 Gang Rape case: Three sentenced to life in jail, fined Rs 2.05 Lakh each
- Godmothers of crime: Women drug peddlers call shots in Chandigarh
- Chandigarh: Imposter appears in court for person charged and later acquitted, probe on
- Held captive at Panchkula guesthouse, woman alleges rape by 40 men over 4 days; two held
- Chandigarh: Pretending as patient, woman, two others steal gold bracelet from ex-Powercom staffer
- Man held for raping minor daughter
“I was buying vegetables from a vendor, when two other women who were standing nearby started talking to me. They said they knew me, and offered me a lift. I refused, but they insisted that they would drop me near the temple, where my house is located. I was forced to sit in the car. After sometime, they dropped me at a distance and left. Then, I realised that my pair of bangles was missing,” said Devi.
In her complaint to the police, the victim said that the accused had come in a sedan, and apart from the two women, there was a male who was driving the car. One of the women was aged around 50 years while the other was in her 30s. They were dressed in plain clothes, said Devi.
The gold bangles, weighing 5 tolas, were worth over Rs 1 lakh.
A case under sections 379 (theft) and 420 (cheating, fraud) of the Indian Penal Code was registered at the Sector 5 Police Station.
Similar incident in May
A similar incident was reported in May when a 67-year-old woman resident of Mansa Devi Complex was allegedly duped of her gold jewellery by three persons in a white Swift car. The incident was reported when she was walking back home from a bank. The accused had stolen her gold bangles weighing 3.5 tolas which were worth over Rs 95,000.