Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram
‘Disappears’ in the morning,later calls wife to say he is near Delhi,went on his own
Former Haryana deputy chief minister Chander Mohan,who suddenly disappeared around three months ago and then made a dramatic reappearance a month later with a new religion,a new name and a new wife,once again created a flutter in the media and police circles on Wednesday.
Chander Mohan,who took the name of Chand Mohammed after converting to Islam and married Anuradha Bali alias Fiza,went missing from his Sector-48-C home in the morning. In the afternoon,a worried Fiza raised an alarm,saying her husband had been abducted.
“About four or five people came to our residence in a black car around 8.30 am and took away Chand Mohammed. I did not see them. The associates of my husband’s brother,Kuldeep Bishnoi,could have kidnapped him,” she told reporters who rushed to her residence as the news spread. Fiza alleged that Bishnoi had been harassing and threatening her husband ever since they announced their marriage. She claimed that her husband had fears that his father,former Haryana chief minister Bhajan Lal,and brother might harm him because of the marriage.
“Chand Mohammed told me last night of his fear about Kuldeep Bishnoi’s aide Devi Lal trying to get in touch with him and offering him help,” she said,adding that she was speaking to the media first because she had had no time to lodge a formal report with the police.
A few hours later,investigation by the Mohali police,however,revealed that Chand Mohammed had not been abducted.
Fiza met Mohali Senior Superintendent of Police Jatinder Aulakh and then they tried calling her husband on his cellphone. She got through the second time and Chand Mohammed told her that he had not been abducted,but had gone out on his own. He told her that he was somewhere near Delhi. “His voice was weak and there were some people prompting him from behind as he spoke,” said Fiza.
She,however,refused to register a complaint or ask the police to investigate the matter any further. “I will first wait for him to see me before I decide my next step. How can a man who cannot even stay two minutes away from me,keep out of sight for as many as eight hours,that too without even telling me,” she said.
Contacted over phone by The Indian Express,Chand Mohammed said: “I am at Rajghat,New Delhi and have come here on my own will.”
The Mohali SSP said they might question him when he returns. Haryana Janhit Congress chief Kuldip Bishnoi,meanwhile,denied Fiza’s allegation. In Ambala,he said his brother’s second wife was trying to defame him at the behest of Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
‘Picked up’ by Delhi cops
NEW DELHI: While his family and friends were looking for Chand Mohammed,he,according to Delhi Police sources,was picked up from Rajghat in an inebriate state around 6 pm. Following a call,a PCR van arrived at the spot and took Chand to the Daryaganj police station,the sources said. “He had to be kept in the police station with several TV channels showing that he had been abducted,” said the officer. He was let off later.
Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram