February 3, 2009 12:34:20 am
An 18-year-old boy from Uttarakhand,who worked as a domestic help in Sector 37,was found dead after a fire broke out in his room in the early hours of Monday.
The preliminary investigations by the police suggest the deceased,identified as Vinod Kumar,died due to asphyxia. His legs,however,bore severe burn injuries.
Station House Officer (SHO) of Sector-39 police station,Inspector Janak Rana,ruled out any foul play behind the death.
He said the victim used to smoke bidi. It appears the victim had thrown a lighted bidi under his bed at night which later caused the fire, he added.
The deceaseds cousin,who was sleeping in the adjacent room on Sunday night,said: When I saw smoke coming into my room,I went outside and discovered the fire in his room. The door was bolted from inside.
He added: My house owner,an advocate in the Punjab and Haryana High Court,came upstairs immediately and helped douse the flames.
The victim was rushed to the Government Multi-Specialty Hospital,Sector 16,where he was declared dead on arrival.
Aman Kashyap,the owner of the house,said the victim had been working at his place as a domestic help for the past 10 months.
When I discovered the fire in Vinods room,I called the fire brigade immediately who helped me douse the flames. We rushed the victim to the hospital but it was too late by then, he said.
The Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) team visited the house and collected the samples.
The police have initiated inquest proceedings under Section 174 of the CrPC and started investigations. The body was sent for medical examination after conducting the postmortem.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.