March 20, 2009 11:47:13 pm
After losing her only son in a fire,Urmila stood a distraught mother on Thursday,hoping against hope that her daughter will survive the battle for life at PGI.
Tragedy stuck yesterday when six children,including Sunny,suffered serious burn injuries after a tin of paint thinner they were playing with caught fire. The blaze occurred after one of the children,five-year-old Himanshu,dropped a burning matchstick into the tin,resulting in a blast.
Sunny,who received over 90 per cent burn injuries,died at PGI late on Wednesday night. Three-year-old Aarti,too,is admitted at PGI with 90 per cent burn injuries and doctors termed her condition extremely critical.
Aarti wanted to play and insisted on accompanying Sunny to Himanshus house. I could not have imagined in my worst nightmare what was in store for my children, said a distressed Urmila,who was accompanied by her husband Hari Tiwari.
Best of Express Premium
As the family struggles through the day amid shock and hope,their Mauli Jagran neighbours recalled that the parents had recently bought new clothes for the children for a family gathering later this month.
The condition of three other children,meanwhile,continues to be serious. Doctors said the conditions of five-year-old Himanshu and seven-year-old Anil,who received 50 per cent burns,are stable. The two were shifted from the emergency ward to the ICU on Thursday.
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.