The overbridge in Sector 17 will be opened for public on November 1 and will be inaugurated by former Railways Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal. However,the booths that have been constructed below the overbridge will not be opened as of now since a decision is yet to be taken about how to put these to use.
The construction of the overbridge,the second one in the area,was started last year. The design for the same had been made by the creator of the city,Le Corbusier.
A total of 40 booths have been constructed below the overbridge,but the civic body is yet to take a decision on what is to be started here. While a proposal had been mooted for a night food street,it has faced opposition from traders in the area.
Meanwhile,Mayor Subhash Chawla said while the bridge market has been there for over two decades,it has not been as popular as the plaza.
Proposals are being contemplated for utilising the newly constructed booths in a manner that attracts more visitors. We are looking at a proposal for starting a food chain. Attempts are being made not to auction these booths,but instead give these out on rent, he said.
Chawla added the construction of the second plaza was on. Also,cultural programmes on Saturdays have been approved to attract more people to the area.