Follow Us:
Thursday, July 19, 2018

Administration stops work on controversial mega projects

The Chandigarh Administration has finally stopped work on the three controversial mega projects-Filmcity,Amusement-cum-Theme park and Medicity-into which the Central Vigilance Commission had marked a probe on January 6.

Written by Varinder Bhatia | Chandigarh | Published: January 13, 2009 11:58:02 pm

The Chandigarh Administration has finally stopped work on the three controversial mega projects — Filmcity,Amusement-cum-Theme park and Medicity — into which the Central Vigilance Commission had marked a probe on January 6.

Records pertaining to the mega-projects have been compiled and sealed as well.

“All official documents related to the three mega-projects have been compiled. A special messenger shall be sent to New Delhi on Tuesday to hand over the records to the CVC,” said UT Chief Vigilance Officer Ram Niwas,who is also the Home Secretary.

Chief Vigilance Commission Sandeep Sahai has been deputed to conduct the inquiry.

It is expected that many senior functionaries,including former Home Secretary Krishnamohan,former Director (Tourism) Vivek Atray,former Finance Secretary S K Sandhu,Deputy Commissioner R K Rao,of the Chandigarh Administration will be questioned during the probe.

According to senior officials of the UT Administration,no fresh activity will be carried out with regard to the three projects.

“The projects are automatically stuck till the probe gives them a green signal. The CVC will scrutinise all the projects thoroughly,which is bound to take some time,” said a senior Administration official.

The official also suggested scrapping the projects as an option. Speaking on the Filmcity issue,he said: “Who would be responsible if the developers move court for all their time going waste as the CVC completes the probe? We are considering the possibility of scrapping the Filmcity project.”

As such,the projects have been in limbo for long and were running much behind schedule.

While the first phase of the Theme park project (bagged by Unitech) was to start operations by the end of this year,there has been no progress on the ground level. Unitech has not even constructed a full camp office on the site so far.

Parsvnath,the developer of Filmcity,has already chosen to opt out of the project and asked the Chandigarh Administration for a refund of the Rs.47.75-crore deposit.

Medicity has also failed to take off after UT Advisor Pradip Mehra put his foot down and raised objections on the “questionable” transactions concerning the allotment of the project.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App