Accident timing: Youths allege there was delay,cops disagree

Even two days after she was left to die on the road awaiting arrival of “senior” police officers,the Chandigarh Police is yet to ascertain the timing of the accident.

Written by JAPJEET DUGGAL | Chandigarh | Published: May 10, 2013 2:46:09 am

Even two days after she was left to die on the road awaiting arrival of “senior” police officers,the Chandigarh Police is yet to ascertain the timing of the accident. Rather than helping,the Chandigarh Police officials allegedly did not allow two youngsters to take the woman to the hospital. The two youths have alleged in a complaint,submitted on Wednesday,that the police officials stopped them from taking the woman,Sharmila Gupta,to the hospital. While the youths allege that a delay of two hours was caused by the police officials in taking the victim to the hospital,police officials claim they took “few minutes” in taking her to the hospital.

For reasons best known to them,the Chandigarh Police is yet to start a formal inquiry. As per available information,Deputy Superintendent of Police (Central) Ashish Kapoor was inquiring about the time of the accident and other details about what happened at the incident. When contacted,the DSP refused to comment.

One of the officers requesting anonymity said,“It was the mistake of PCR vehicle staff who did not inform the Station House Officer of Police Station,Sector 3,on time and did not take the woman to the hospital.”

When contacted,SSP Naunihal Singh said he did not know if an inquiry had been initiated or not. On medical leave,Naunihal instead asked the correspondent if an inquiry had been started. On Wednesday,Naunihal had said that he was “at home” and refused to speak on the issue.

Reiterating that he was “still at home”,Naunihal added,“I will be joining back on Monday. You may get in touch with DSP (Headquarters) to know what is happening in the case.”

However,IGP R P Upadhyaya said “if necessary”,action would be taken against the erring police officials. He said “an inquiry has been ordered which will be carried out by SSP (IRB) Arun Kampani and comments of DSP Ashish Kapoor will be sought. We have received a compliant by the two youngsters and requisite action will be taken if necessary”.

The IGP said claims made by the youngsters about the timing were contrary to the police findings. “As per PCR records,driver of the bus,Balbir Singh,had himself given a call on the PCR reporting the accident. The call,as per our records,was received at 2.21 pm. Nevertheless,a fair inquiry will be done. The call records are being scrutinised by DSP Ashish Kapoor,” the IGP said.

Ravit Kapoor and Akash Ghai,the two youngsters who had nabbed the driver of the accused bus,had given a complaint against the Police Station,Sector 3,staff at the public window of the UT Police on Wednesday.

Sharmila,33,whose husband had died in October last year in a road accident,was crushed by a CTU bus at the roundabout adjoining GMSH-16 on Tuesday. Ravit and Akash claimed the woman’s body kept laying on the road for about two hours before she was shifted to GMSH-16 at 3.20 pm where she was declared dead on arrival.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App