93-yr-old NRI dies in freak fire

A 93-year-old NRI woman died due to suffocation after her bed accidentally caught fire at her Sector 18 residence today.

Written by Express News Service | Chandigarh | Published: March 28, 2012 12:58:09 am

A 93-year-old NRI woman died due to suffocation after her bed accidentally caught fire at her Sector 18 residence today. The deceased has been identified as Dayawanti Sharma. Police suspect that the fire started at night from a lighted cigarette as the deceased was reportedly a smoker. She used to stay alone in the house while her four children are settled in the United Kingdom. No foul play is suspected.

According to the Investigating Officer (IO),the matter came to notice in the morning when a tenant,who is also a domestic help in the house,opened the room. She told the police that at 6 am on Tuesday,she opened the door after a foul smell was emanating. The room was filled with smoke as the bed and mattress had partially caught fire.

She called up the police control room (PCR) informing about the incident. The PCR,in turn,informed the Fire Department and a fire tender was rushed to the spot.

Meanwhile,the domestic help tried to douse the fire by throwing water. The police rushed Sharma to GMSH-16 where doctors declared her ‘dead on arrival’. The IO told Newsline,“The death is believed to have taken place due to suffocation as the whole room had been engulfed in smoke. The fire did not start completely which led to the smoke filling the room.”

The family of the deceased has been informed. The body has been kept at the GMSH-16 mortuary and a post mortem examination will be conducted after the family reaches India.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement