A 28-year-old IT professional working in a Hongkong-based firm in New Delhi died at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) on Wednesday. However,his family members have alleged that he died due to the negligence of the doctor at the emergency wing of the hospital.
Family members claim that he was administered a wrong injection,after he sustained injuries due to falling from the first floor of a building,following which he died within seconds. Deceased Rai Singh hailed from Mandi district,Himachal Pradesh. Survived by his parents and two sisters,the victim was to get married next month.
PGI spokesperson Manju Wadwalkar said,A medical board of doctors from various departments,including forensic medicine,internal medicine and anaesthesia has been constituted to inquire the matter. The complaint of the family has been forwarded to the medical grievances committee of the institute.
According to hospital officials,Rai Singh had come to Chandigarh on Monday to attend an official meeting. After the meeting,he was scheduled to leave for Delhi on Tuesday night. However,before leaving,he decided to meet his relatives staying here in Khuda Lahora.
According to the deceaseds father,Tej Singh Thakur,who works as a bank manager in Mandi,Rai Singh was sitting on the rooftop of the house,along with his relatives,as there was no power supply. Just then his phone rang and he got up to answer the call,and while talking on the phone,due to darkness he fell from the roof.
However,the family members claimed that the roof was barely 7-ft from the ground and he had sustained injuries on his arm and legs. He was taken to Government Multi Specialty Hospital,Sector 16,from where he was referred to Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research,Chandigarh,where the doctors diagnosed him with a fracture on his arm and leg.
He was given a plaster in his arm and for the leg he was to be given a traction first,so the doctor administered him an injection through the glucose drip at around 7 am. He collapsed soon after and doctor declared him dead.