Food poisoning Children consumed seeds of a poisonous plant
At least 25 slumchildren,in the age group of three to thirteen years,were taken ill after they reportedly consumed seeds of a poisonous plant at Parol village in Mohali on Saturday afternoon.
While 24 children,who complained of blood-laced vomit,were admitted in Mohali Civil Hospital for treatment,one child was shifted to GMSH,Sector 16, said Mohali Civil Hospital Senior Medical Officer (SMO) Dr H S Sarang.
All the patients are children of brick-kiln labourers and were attending classes at an anganwari when they fell ill,disclosed the SMO.
On feeling hungry,they consumed the seeds of a Jarota plant grown near the brick-kiln. But soon after,they complained of abdominal pain,nausea and uneasiness, added Dr Sarang.
The anganwari workers immediately called a local doctor,who informed the Mohali health authorities. Subsequently,an ambulance was sent to ferry the children to Mohali Civil Hospital,said Dr Sarang,who along with around half-a-dozen specialist doctors immediately attended to the children.
At present,the condition of all the patients was stated to be stable.
The children have suffered food poisoning, added Dr Sarang.
The Kharar Sub-Divisional Magistrate Rajeev Kumar Gupta has ordered an inquiry into the incident.
Shailee,Rajni,Ankit,Aarti,Golu,Bhawna,Ankush,Roshni,Asha,Vikas,Sawan,Aladin,Rahul,Mana,Ravi,Meenu,Juli,Anu,Neha,Khushi,Sandeep,Faiz,Hans Raj Pooja
DC VISITS CHILDREN
Mohali Deputy Commissioner Prabhjot Singh Mand visited the children at Mohali Civil Hospital late on Saturday evening to inquire about their health. Mand assured that free medical treatment will be provided to the children.