Nearly 700 residents of Nandarkha village in Kalol taluka of Panchmahals district were shifted to a primary school after a fire broke out at a chemical factory located in the periphery of the village on Monday afternoon.
The fire broke out in the polymers manufacturing section of the plant, leading to thick black smoke due to carbon dioxide emission. However, no casualties were reported, authorities said.
Panchmahals District Collector Amit Arora told The Indian Express that 23 people were in the polymer plant when fire broke out. As nine fire tenders rushed to the spot to bring the blaze under control, close to 700 villagers from the Nandarkha village, located about 800 metres away from the site were shifted to a safer location.
Arora said, “All 23 workers came out safe and there was no casualty. Since the fire started in the polymer unit, there is no toxic emission. But carbon dioxide is a being majorly emitted. To be on the safer side and avert any possible complications to anyone in the periphery of the factory, we asked residents to shift…”
Around 700 residents moved in to the primary school in the village. Nine fire tenders were rushed to the spot, including foam extinguishers from private firms. “The exact cause will be known after the fire is doused. Our team from the industrial disaster department is at the spot to ascertain the cause.”
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines